Monday, March 12, 2012

Wheat Quick Baking Mix (rotation recipe)

I use this baking mix recipe as a basis for so many other recipes.  It is just like Bisquick, only better!  Though it lasts for six weeks, I go through it pretty quick because I have so many great recipes.  It's one of the main ways I use up my wheat and POWDERED MILK purchased from the Cannery.  That is why I call it a rotation recipe because this recipe helps to use up my old food storage which I replenish on a regular basis.

"All grain is good for the food of man...Nevertheless, wheat for man."  Doctrine and Covenants 89:16-17

I grind several #10 cans of wheat at a time.  I store these in doubled freezer bags in the freezer.  I also keep a container of ground wheat in my fridge.  When this container is empty, I refill it with wheat from the freezer.  I try to make whole wheat bread and Bread-for-Beginners wheat rolls as well as my Honey Wheat Muffins on a regular basis.  I've tested a lot of recipes for whole wheat and choose only the best-tasting for my family so we'll eat lots of it.  This recipe helps to use up wheat and it also tastes great made with butter-flavored Crisco :0)

Wheat Quick Baking Mix
8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup non-instant powdered milk
1/3 cup baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups Crisco shortening (or butter-flavored Crisco)
Combine dry ingredients; mix well.  Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature.  (Mix may be stored up to 6 weeks).  Package for gift giving and present with the following recipes.  Yield:  15 cups.

Wheat Quick Biscuits
1 egg, beaten
1 cup water or milk
2 cups Wheat Quick Mix
Combine egg and water in a mixing bowl; mix well.  Add Wheat Quick Mix; stir just until moistened.  For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle.  Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges are brown.  Serve with syrup.  Yield:  Eight 4-inch pancakes.

See these fabulous Quick Mix Recipes!

Wheat Quick Christmas Coffee Cake
Wheat Quick Sausage Balls 
Wheat Quick Pancakes
Perfect, Easy Biscuits (7 Up Biscuits)

How I store my Wheat Baking Mix in the fridge.

Do you have a favorite baking mix recipe to share?  I am always looking for more to try out and include in my collection.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...