Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peanut Butterscotch Morsels



Had a creative week during Christmas break.  Maybe it was because I was so used to working on Christmas crafts that I started to go through withdrawals and needed a "fix."  So besides coming up with (and maybe someone had already discovered it) Chicken Macaroni Salad, I decided to see what sweets I could quickly create.

I had half a bag of butterscotch chips and half a can of salted peanuts on hand.  That was pretty much it unless I wanted to do some baking--WHICH I DID NOT!  I threw the butterscotchies in a microwave-safe bowl and zapped it for 45 seconds twice, stirring in between.  The bowl was hot so I carefully took it from the microwave and added my peanuts.  Then with a teaspoon I dipped out very small amounts onto wax paper, using a spatula to make sure not one speck of melted butterscotch was left in the bowl.  The spoonfuls set pretty quickly since they were small.  In about 15 minutes the Peanut Butterscotch Morsels were ready.  SERIOUSLY GOOD!

Now that I have this easy, quick fix for a sweet tooth, I'm going to have to increase my workout time for sure.  I'm writing the recipe for my kiddos who inherited their parent's sweet tooth.


Peanut Butterscotch Morsels
1 cup Hershey butterscotch chips (brand melts the best)
1 cup salted peanuts (I wonder how cashews would taste?)
In a microwavable-safe bowl, melt butterscotch morsels for 45 seconds.  (Start with 20 seconds at a time to see how long your microwave takes--it may need more or less time).  Stir just a bit to loosen; microwave for another 45 seconds (depending on your microwave).  Stir morsels just until nearly melted; stir in peanuts to coat.  Dip out mixture with a teaspoon onto wax paper placed on a flat surface.  Let it set for at least 15 minutes--unless you like to eat them gooey :) like I sometimes do.  Once set, they store very well in a ziploc baggie.  Recipe can be doubled.  This would make a nice candy to place on cookie and candy plates you give out at Christmas time.  They are very pretty and would look nice in a pretty dish at a party.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...