Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spirit Soothers



I was rereading this the other day.  It's with a yoga pamphlet I use from "The Ultimate Makeover," Family Circle 5/11/99.  I don't know about anyone else, but at least once-a-month, I get really depressed!  I was reading this and thought it might really help the next time I suffer from the blues.  I especially liked numbers 7-9.  I think reflecting at the end of the day on what I have done to make someone else happy would help my own mood.  I also think that most of us are not good at listening to our "gut instinct" when we should.  I know I'd be happier if I did.  And I always need reassurance that it is okay to say no and mean it.  Let me know which Spirit Soothers you like and if they work for you, or if you have others to add to the list.
  1. Throw your cares away.  Literally.  Write any worries down on paper, shred them into tiny pieces, then toss in the trash.
  2. Start a "soul soothers" file.  Put in stories, quotes, photos that inspire you or make you smile.
  3. Stop being a grown-up.  Go outside and play for an afternoon.
  4. Follow your color cues.  Do you feel energized wearing red?  Relaxed in blue?  Use that knowledge to alter your moods.  Try out a new look--even if just for a few minutes.
  5. "Forget" to wear your watch for a day.  see if you really miss it.
  6. Break out of character.  Order a dish you normally wouldn't have.  Maybe try a new hair cut.
  7. Commit to kindness.  At the end of each day, reflect on one nice thing you did for someone else.
  8. Begin to trust your intuition.  Do it for one day, then one week, then listen to it for life.
  9. Learn to say no.  And stay true to your word.
"Boost your spirits by playing with Silly Putty--you'll feel like a kid again.  What could be more uplifting than that?

"Take a breathing break.  Even though it's a natural reflex,  most of us don't breathe correctly, especially if we're tired or tense.  We take shallow, rather than deep, invigorating breaths, and this can deprive the brain of oxygen, causing fatigue.  Next time you feel overwhelmed, 'Whisper ah,' says Glynn Macdonald, author of The Complete Illustrated Guide to Alexander Technique (Element, 1998).  Put the tip of your tongue against the back of lower teeth.  Open mouth and say, 'Ah,' in a whisper at the end of a breath.  Close mouth and breathe in through nose.  Do three in a row."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...