Saturday, April 23, 2011

So Easy Granola



One of my favorite foods is granola.  There is so much you can do with granola--as a topping for yogurt parfaits, as a cereal, or as a trail mix, to name just a few.  For years, I have been testing dozens of granola recipes.  This one is called Easy Granola but I have renamed it So Easy Granola, because compared to other recipes, it truly is easy.  My 18 yr. old daughter tested this recipe for me and she's never made granola before.  It turned out wonderful!  The recipe made so many servings that I decided to give Easter bags of it to my husbands's home teaching families.  I have neighbors who actually sell their granola during the holidays and if you buy granola on the health food racks at Walmart, you'll see how much people will pay for good granola.  Why not make your own?  Let me know if you try this recipe and how it turned out for you!

So Easy Granola
7-3/4 c. regular oats, uncooked
1-1/4 c. flaked coconut
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 c. wheat germ
1 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. unsalted sunflower kernels
1/2 c. sesame seeds
1-1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. water
1-1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 c. raisins
1/2 to 1 c. chopped dates
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; set aside.  Combine oil, water, and vanilla; stir well, and pour over oat mixture.  Toss gently to coat; place mixture in two 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pans.  Bake at 250 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes; cool.  Stir in raisins and dates.  Store granola in airtight containers.  Serve as a cereal with milk.  Yield:  about 14-1/2 cups.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...