Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Library Story Time

One year, I did story-time for the local library and these were my activities.  The first one (for preschool children), included favorite family story books, songs, and finger plays.  We finished with a simple craft that parents helped their child with.  My younger daughter had made a paper chain in preschool to count down the days until Christmas.  Each day she would tear of the bottom chain link.  
Little House Theater Kit, Douglas Love 0439132320
Everyone of my children ended up doing this for Christmas until they grew too old.  But my son actually adapted this craft to other things he was looking forward to so that the wait wouldn't seem so long.   Find the ISBN numbers for the following books at my Chick Lit post and Christmas Traditions, part 4 post (scroll down). 

Our First Paper Chain from Preschool
How we used one daughter's pretty snowflake.

This lesson plan was for school-age children.  I love these books and songs and so do my children.  They also enjoyed making the oranges which were very simple to do.  The idea came from an American Girl Doll craft book.  It smells amazing!  Make sure the oranges aren't too ripe and press cloves in any pattern you choose.  You may want to get cloves from a place that sells them in bulk. 
How to make Clove-Studded Fruit Post


My young daughters (in Santa caps) help with Library Storytime 

Beatrix Potter has a DVD version of these wonderful video stories we enjoyed for so many years until our video player finally quit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...