Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recipe Substitutions for Wine and Liquor


If you're interested in cooking, you're also just naturally interested in art, in love, and in culture.  ~Madame Jehane Benoit

I'm not interested in dishes that take 3  minutes and have no cholesterol.  
~Julia Child

In my cooking, I often come across recipes where liquor is called for.  I like that programs like Rachel Ray’s 30 Minute Meals sometimes take into consideration that not everyone will want to cook with wine or liquor.  Just the other day, I came across a crockpot recipe I wanted to try from Taste of Home Magazine that required rum.  I wasn’t going to let that stop me from making the scrumptious-looking recipe, so I took out this old article I found on the Church website (lds.org) to see what I could use instead.  I used pineapple juice!  The article mentions that if you use substitutions that are syrupy, you may want to dilute them with water a little bit. Here’s the article source and my most used substitutions from the list:
Winnifred C. Jardine, “How to Be a Gourmet and a Mormon Too,” Ensign, Dec. 1976

In Soups and Entrees
Dry (unsweet) Red Wine
Water
red wine vinegar
Liquid drained from canned mushroom


Dry (unsweet) White Wine
Water
Chicken broth
Ginger ale
Liquid drained from canned mushrooms


In Cheese Dishes (fondue or rarebit)
Beer or Ale
Chicken broth
Ginger ale


In Desserts
Brandy
Apple cider


Rum
Pineapple juice

Sherry
Orange

Creme de Menthe
Spearmint extract

Red Burgundy
Grape juice

Champagne
Ginger ale

Claret
Grape

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...